Today was just one of those days where I "woke up on the wrong side of the bed." It doesn't help that this week is all messed up because of holidays and so we work Tuesday to Sunday, so today is kind of like Monday since I have four more days after this, but I can't complain because then I have another three day "weekend," It was funny though because sometimes you don't realize how even if you're not being outwardly grumpy, people can notice you're having an off day. Today my kids were doing presentations and one group had me participate in a game where I had to answer a question on the board, me and 5 of the kids did different questions at the same time. As I walked back to my seat one of the kids said Miss Young can I ask you something? He's a really quiet kid and only ever talks to me to ask me questions about work, he's not a chatter. So I assumed he just wanted to ask me something about the presentation or to tell me that I'd done something wrong on the board (my brain was mush today so I wouldn't be surprised). But instead he said, you seem like maybe you're unhappy? And I almost died; as if they could tell when I wasn't even teaching that I was in a bad mood. I said oh no, I'm not unhappy, just having a bad day. He said "oh why are you having a bad day?" and I told him no reason I was just kind of off and not feeling well. He said "really? So you just have bad days?" I said...yeah...don't worry it's nothing any of you guys did. And he just said okay and that was enough for him.
When kids are doing presentations I usually try to keep a constant smile on my face because then if they do something wrong and see that I'm not looking mad or something they'll feel better and keep going. Today during the presentation before this I caught myself just sitting there with my book, writing things down and not paying attention to the look on my face. So I think maybe the other kids (since they constantly look around) noticed the lack of smile on my face and thought I must be unhappy. That same student presented next and his was pretty funny so after that I was laughing quite a bit. Some of these kids are so sweet. A different student emailed me last night and told me she'd forgotten to give me my xmas present and that it was on my desk now. When I got there this morning she'd left me m and m's and a cute note; that girl knows what I like!
To save some time tonight after class I decided to go across the street for dinner. It ended up saving me no time at all. My food usually only takes 5 mins and tonight it took an hour, but it was pretty good. Also while I was there I heard weird sounds in the hallway and looked around the corner and 6 of my students were there; they are not supposed to leave campus at all! But I have no idea what the actual rules are and one of the head administrators was there and saw them so I just laughed and they made sure the lady had understood that I needed my food to go. My student said, she said she already knew that; my hand gestures must be getting REALLY good lol. Also while I was there a woman came in with her little boy and he had on something that looked like a hospital gown. It took me a minute to realize that it was because since everywhere is so cold here everyone eats with their jackets on and so a bib wouldn't fit this little 2 year old so he was running around with a huge jacket and a hospital gown on to keep it clean!
Tonight I actually did get SOME work done, but hopefully tomorrow will be better for that! The end of the semester is sneaking up on me now. While I was doing work in the office one of the kids came in and asked if they could work in there since it was too loud in the classroom. I couldn't really say no, but then I also got talked into editing what he was writing as well! It was only a page though, so I'll live!
Now boxing day is almost over here and has just started at home. Which means it's my brother Jim's birthday in China in less than 3 hours! So that's exciting! Now I should get to bed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment