Today I went to refill my tea in between my morning classes. When I got to the office Mel was talking to the principal and she had to go see the doctor. Since one of the other teachers was already there, Harriet (our assistant) was just going to wait for her. Mel said that I should come with her so that the doctor could look at my bug bite. I have what I thought was a bug bite on my foot and it is now just a hole in my foot that won't go away (sounds worse than it is really). So the principal said he'd watch our classes and we should go meet her there. So I ran and told my kids what they'd be doing (all they were doing was taking up a test) and off we went.
Harriet had everything filled out for us when we got there. I had ran to my apartment and grabbed all of the money I had, my insurance card and my passport thinking this would be necessary; I was wrong. I got to the hospital and one minute later was seeing a doctor. I sat down and showed him my foot and him and Harriet talked for a minute or two and then she realized she'd brought me to the wrong room. As we walked to the other I looked up and they had my name written in lights outside of the door; so that was easy to find lol! Overall, it was not helpful. Not to mention there was an audience of the public IN the room with me. People from the waiting room just came into the examination room and no one said anything or seemed to think it was strange. I can't imagine what would happen at home if I just waltzed in while someone else was getting looked at by a doctor. He told Harriet that he didn't think it was a bug bite and he seemed to think we were done. Harriet said, well what is it then? what should she do? He said maybe put some sort of ointment on it. Since I have already been following the directions of nurse Nancy (my mom) I have been soaking it in salt water and putting polysporin (I brought it with me) on it everyday. And it hasn't changed at all in a week. This guy didn't seem to think it was a big deal, so I'm sure he's right. It was funny though because as we walked into the hallway he was yelling things after us and Harriet said that what he was saying was to try to keep it clean; I was like...really? I thought I'd rub dirt in it!
I couldn't believe it though, to get seen so fast at the hospital! And the entire visit cost me 5 RMB; less than a dollar! I thought it would be a huge deal with lots of paperwork, but no, easy peasy. While Mel waited I went and got us coffee and as I came back into the hospital I saw a little kid with a patch over her eye; patches have gotten much cooler since I was little. It was bright blue with an animal on it; none of this skin coloured stuff I had! When I got back Mel was seen soon after and she had an even bigger audience for hers. Strange place.
I hate missing class though. I'll have to go see the kids on their break and see how it went. That class was at least already ahead of the other ones so hopefully it won't be a big deal in the end. I told one of the kids I had a spider bite (which apparently may not be a bite, who knows lol) and his response was "really? oh my gosh maybe it'll get infected and you'll die." I could see myself saying that to someone, but I would be being sarcastic, he was looking at me with a serious face. And then said....but maybe not. These kids kill me. Then they started asking who would teach them math if I DID die. I told them that none of the other teachers were qualified and they got worried; obviously that would be the biggest problem for them if I died lol.
Anywho, lunch is almost over so I should head back to school soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment