Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012 is almost over!

I forgot until I was on my way out the door today that it was Saturday. That meant we also had a meeting at lunch today to learn how to use our new smart boards. I finished all of my semester notes with two of the sections today; I'll finish with the other section tomorrow. The kids were like zombies today. They didn't get Monday off so today was their 6th day in a row of school and they have two more until they get a break, I only have one more (lucky me :) )! I tried so hard to make them wake up a little but they just sat there and did the work; that was kind of nice though!

Today at lunch we had the smart board meeting. The woman running it was Chinese and did not speak English, so it wasn't the MOST helpful thing in the whole world. But now I have the software on my computer so I played around with it a little today. One of the kids also tried using it during class but it's going to take a little more practice I think!

I decided to eat dinner in the cafeteria tonight. It was like a skating rink in there! Between my already slippery shoes and the soaking wet floor (pouring rain), I came VERY close to piling it several times. As I got to the line for the weird soup stuff I usually get one of my kids called me over and said I should try what she was getting; I have not been very adventurous with the food there yet since I don't know how to order very much. So she helped me order the food and it was actually pretty good. But it was kind of like what I picture they serve in prison. It was almost like porridge mixed with veggies and meat, but in a tasty way...if that can sound tasty at all?

I also enjoyed several macaroons today, surprisingly there are still some left... not for long! Tonight I plan on making up exam review and looking up some stuff for my trip to Thailand. I also want to order more books off amazon since I'm almost done mine!

When I wrote the title for this post I almost couldn't believe it. Whenever people refer to a year whether they're talking about a car or just the date something happened if it's in the 2000s I always make an immediate connection in my brain that that is recent. What I cannot believe is that the year 2000 was 12 years ago! I started grade 9 in 2003 and that was 9 years ago! The second someone says something is from the 90's I immediately associate it with being old, so it makes sense that something from 2000 was also quite awhile ago, but I still have not gotten used to that!

I keep mentioning to the kids how Canada is doing in the World Juniors. At first I told them YEAH CANADA BEAT GERMANY 9 to 3! Then yesterday during break I said okay kids, let's learning something about hockey. So I pulled the standings for the tournament so far up on the projector and I was like see, Canada and the States both beat Germany but the US has no goals against, so they're beating us in the tournament right now. And one kid goes ohhh so GA is goals against? I said yes. And another goes what is GF? I said goals for, he said oh, I thought it meant girlfriends! So I said yes, Canada has 9 girlfriends and the US has 8... They thought this was funny but they did not care about hockey at all!


1 comment: