Thursday, December 20, 2012

A late night surprise

By late night, I mean 10:30 pm, that's how cool I am. Normally I would have been in bed by 9:30, but I had been hanging out with Mel and Matt and then was talking to my cousin Kaitlynn on the phone. I've told a few people that I swear there is a ghost in our apartment building. Mainly because there have been several occasions where I could swear I've heard a knock on my door and I open it and no one is there. So last night while I was on the phone with Kait I heard the sound and just ignored it for awhile. It became clear after a couple of minutes that someone REALLY was knocking on my door. Being the 100 year old woman that I am I thought to myself, who could be knocking on my door at this hour (Mary cue Sweet Home Alabama)? I opened the door to find a Chinese woman standing there. She started talking to me right away in Chinese and I obviously understood none of what she said. She kept pulling on her jacket and pointing over the railing until finally I realized she must have dropped some of her laundry out her window. If this happens it will sometimes land on the clothes racks of the people who are below you. I checked out my living room window but there was nothing there. I motioned for her to come inside, mainly because she was letting all of the cold(er) air inside. She reluctantly came in, but let's be serious; if someone is getting married in this scenario, it's me...not her,so why is she scared? There was in fact a jacket hanging outside of my bedroom window. I handed it to her, she got very excited. She was even MORE excited when I said your welcome in Chinese. This entire time Kaitlynn was still on the phone (on my computer), but because of all the background noise, she heard none of it.

This morning a few groups did their presentations. They were SO good. A few of them are incorporating xmas into them, not really math related but I still love it. One group gave out candy, which I also love. And one group managed to incorporate 7UP into theirs (and it actually made sense lol). It was the best! After classes ended today I went into town to finish my xmas shopping. I had to buy one last thing for Mel's gift (we're getting each other stockings) and I had to buy a gift for the staff xmas party. I also bought a platter for my deviled eggs I'm making for the party; it's really nice, it is red and has a moose on it, very Christmas-y and it's pretty big. And it only cost 15 RMB, I didn't even have to barter! That's less than three dollars! It's a miserable night but I've had my water heater heating up all day, so I'm going to take a nice shower and chill out for the rest of the night.

The kids talked a bit today about how the world might end. Then I played "End of the World" by Great Big Sea and they thought that was hilarious....they could however have been laughing at my singing and dancing...I'll say it was at the song though. One kid even said, maybe we won't have to do our presentations tomorrow because the world will end; like that would be better? Kids these days lol. 5 Days until Christmas! I hope the world doesn't end...but in case it does, I'll miss you guys!

1 comment: