I know I have talked about how these kids seem to care more about school than typical Ontario students do (for the most part), but today I was reminded of this yet again. I was in the office entering marks into the computer and one of my students came running in and said Miss Young so and so (the student who broke his leg at Sports Day) wants to talk to you! I said oh...he's back at school? But no, he had phoned her cell phone so that she could find me and give me her cell phone so that he could speak to me! I nearly died! The school had asked us to put together a package of work he'd be missing the other day and he had received it and was very worried about not knowing what to do. I tried to explain that it was okay because he hadn't been in class for it and that he could catch up next week when he (hopefully) comes back. After talking with him for awhile he finally calmed down a little, but I just still couldn't believe that he cared that much to call and ask!
I really do hate when students miss class. It's such a pain to get them caught up! Especially here where they don't have as much free time to meet with you. Hopefully he will come to peer tutoring next week and get all caught up! Next week will probably be review days for the most part anyway since this unit is almost done!
When I first met some of the people who were returning to the school (since only three of us were new) they all seemed to say that they stayed here for the students. I remember thinking; typical teacher answer, I just didn't really get how that could be the only reason; surely a place you choose to live has to have more to offer than the people you interact with at work. But now I totally get it. The weather here has been nice for the most part but it is going to get brutal from the sounds of things, the language barrier is hard and sometimes it's frustrating to not have the same things you can get back home. But I honestly forget about all of this at school! I am quickly reminded sometimes when I get home, but at school I am quite often 100% entertained, distracted and surprised by the students! I think this could probably also be true at a regular Ontario school; hopefully I find out soon'ish (as in hopefully I land a job in Ontario before I'm retirement age hahah).
No comments:
Post a Comment