Thursday, October 11, 2012

Past Hump Day!

I love Thursday, it means that tomorrow is Friday, I also finish 2/3 of my classes in 3/5 of the week, so I have fewer classes on Thursday and Friday than on Tuesday Wednesday (YAY)! So I asked my students which universities they're interested in going to. It took awhile for them to finally talk and tell me which ones and some of them only told me after class when they came to the front of me to talk only to me; they hate talking in front of each other. They've been asking more questions, but in the middle of the night I'll have to leave the front of the room and go over to whoever has their hand up!

So last night I tried calling and emailing the schools that the students are interested in to get them to mail us information. I did not think this would be a difficult task...it was. I am biased so I of course called Queen's first. The lady on the other end of the phone was older and was being grumpy. "Turn down that music!" To which I responded..."I'm not listening to any music..." "All I can hear is music!" ..."I'm calling from China...maybe its just the connection?" She ended up being much more pleasant once I explained that I literally just graduated from Queen's. She agreed to send us stuff, so we'll see how that goes (giving our address over the phone is hard, I have to spell EVERYTHING....even Colleen for some people lol).

The worst school I've had the displeasure of talking to so far is McMaster, which I did not think would be the case. "You can find all of our information on the internet." "Oh, our students don't really have access to the internet and lots of sites are blocked here in China." "BLOCKED?!....no internet access?!?!?!" She never did agree to send us anything. Our students have to pay their university of choice international tuition....that's like 30 thousand dollars in some cases....and you can't mail them a stinking brochure?! I was not a happy camper. Then several schools thought I was a student. "Hi I was calling hoping that you could send some admissions info and brochures to my school." "Oh honey...we can send them right to your house!" "...uhhhh...okay, I actually live at the school..." It was kind of funny. I left a few people messages last night and Carleton and U of A both got back to me by this morning (super points for them)! I'll be basing my recommendations to the students off of how much I liked my interaction with the school...I won't actually, but I'll be thinking about it in the back of my head. I still had several schools I needed to get a hold of last night but I gave up, I was tired and it was like midnight here at that point.

I of course found time to listen to my new favourite song about 5 more times before bed though. My friend Megan suggested "Classy Girl" by the Lumineers to me (because we're so classy obviously). I liked it and downloaded their album, well my like of that song had nothing on how I felt about "Flowers in your hair." My only complaint is that all of their songs are super short and it makes me sad.


My friend Erica is probably thanking her lucky stars that she doesn't live with me right now, because this 2 minute song is played on repeat...sorry neighbours (oh wait..no I'm not because you are NEVER QUIET)!

I make my kids listen to the lumineers too. They asked me to play music while they work; so that's what they get. One student suggested "I knew you were trouble" by Taylor Swift, she knew I liked her (sorry world) and I like that song!! And my friend Jeanna put the Gangnam Style video on her facebook; it kills me every time I watch it!


Anyways, I need to head to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment