At first I was confused. During the break she randomly came up and threw something on the desk and I wasn't paying attention. Then five minutes later I noticed there was a strange piece of fruit sitting there. At the end of class she showed me how to eat it (I think I had in fact eaten it once before and had just forgotten). It is kind of like a very big grapefruit. This is what it looks like:
It was a nice little afternoon snack. And one of the other teachers informed me that the trees on campus actually grow these. We aren't supposed to pick them but apparently people do anyway.
It was also really cute today because the students are writing a math contest and their money was due by tomorrow (it costs them money to write a test...go figure). I had said the due date was this week because they HAVE TO be registered by the beginning of next week, so I told them as long as they brought in the money by this coming Monday then they could still write (because they don't go home so once they are here they cannot get money). It was so cute though because a few kids brought in their money and then lent almost all of the other kids their money. One part of me thought it was nice, another part kept thinking I really hope these kids get paid back and the final part of me was thinking why the heck do they have this much money with them in math class?
Some of my students asked for more summative assignments (assignments that count for marks, as opposed to quizzes and things which don't). I was surprised by this request, but I guess they think it will help to bring up their marks in the end if they have more opportunities to do well (I think it is a good idea, but it is going to be soooooooooo much marking)! So tomorrow they have ANOTHER assignment, I haven't even started marking the one they last handed in (worst teacher ever award goes toooo............)!
After school (instead of marking) Mel and I went into town for dinner. We went to his place called Fei Rock (I've gone there once before and blogged about it, they have western food). We both ordered Cheeseburgers with fries and a Corona, it was yummy. Mel could not decide though whether her burger was better than last time (she did not like it very much the first time she went there) or whether she had just been away from home long enough (she went there only a few days after arriving to China) that it tasted that much better...so it was a question of good, or lower standards.
Afterward we went to Century mart where I bought some pork chops and chicken legs to cook (yay) and a few new spices and sauces to experiment with, I'm excited! Cooking with propane is kind of terrifying me...I am my mother's daughter (some of you may know she's a bit of a "Nervous Nancy"...[pun intended]). I'm sure I'll get over it, I just don't like how my whole kitchen smells like propane while I cook... I often wonder how many years will be taken off of my life because of my living here (then I stop thinking about it because it's a scary thought).
We had to cab home. On the way home we were saying, "wow, we caught the bus into town AND got a cab quickly...what a GOOD day." And then we both kind of laughed because catching two modes of transportation meant a good day. As we walked up to the building Mel noticed you could see stars in the sky (I think this is the FIRST time I've seen stars, maybe the second, since I've lived here) and it looked so pretty! But again, I think it was just a matter of lower standards because there are way more stores in Ennismore!
Anywho, it's getting late (I feel old...it's 9:15 pm), so I'm going to go get ready for bed!

No comments:
Post a Comment