Thursday, October 18, 2012

Peer Tutoring

At a staff meeting people mentioned that last year there was peer tutoring at our school where year 3's (my students) would tutor year 1 and 2 students in English (and possibly other subjects). We decided that we would start it up again this year, but this is yet to happen; I'm going to bring it up again at tomorrow's staff meeting.

However, it gave me the idea that maybe my stronger students in math could tutor the struggling students and get volunteer hours for it (we needed 40 in high school, these students only need 20) and the students were eager to volunteer if it would go towards their hours. After 2 weeks of trying to get this going it FINALLY happened today. I made told one student that she would be getting a peer tutor, she was happy, so I was happy. I picked the student that would tutor her but just coordinating schedules took almost a week (lack of communication I think). There was another student that I hoped would come, but he did not. On the plus side, an extra student wanting help showed up so I was able to run and grab another math student to help her. So our first night of math peer tutoring and we had 4 people; could be better, could be worse. I was happy!

The students have an in-class assignment tomorrow so I hope that the tutoring tonight will help them to do well on it! This is one of those assignments that I am giving because the students requested more things to go towards their grades. I'm hoping that by the end of the semester the peer-tutoring night will be more popular; I think it will be! I also hope that I can start-up the other peer tutoring because I have heard from some of the year 1 and 2 teachers that some of these students could really use some help.

The students chose 5:30 on Thursday evening for tutoring; I would have preferred it to be earlier, but after all of the confusion I just went with whatever they suggested. It makes for a long day though when I got to the office at 7 am and I am going to end up leaving at 7 pm (I know my mom and sisters are saying, "oh no Coll, not 12 hour shifts! [ they all work long shifts at their jobs] but it's long for me so BACK OFF (Billy Madison anyone?)!).

I am excited that tomorrow is Friday! I cannot believe how fast this week went by! I probably shouldn't speak too soon, tomorrow may drag on forever! I am excited to cook dinner tonight, I'll use some of the new spices and the new sauce that I bought last night, hopefully it tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment