I have officially been in China for 7 full weeks; that's nucking futs! I was actually fairly productive today! I had class and on my breaks I actually did report card stuff instead of going home and watching Dexter while I eat. Speaking of eating, I tried the cafeteria for the first time today! That was an experience! I purposely went 20 minutes before the students classes end because I've heard it gets CRAZY in there. I think that may have been a little too early because not all of the food was out. I chose my food quickly and without much thought because it was all pretty overwhelming lol (it's a huge cafeteria). Overall, I was not impressed. The food was not great....but again I think I just made poor choices, from what I hear you can get some pretty good stuff there. On top of everything I was struggling worse than I have in awhile with using the chopsticks AND when I sat down I was the only one there and ten minutes later every ten seconds I'm hearing "HI MISS YOUNG!" as almost each of my 75 students walks by me. There I am, slopping around with chopsticks getting sauce all over my face and on my shirt; I had to go home and change lol!
Today was the first day this week where I could actually do laundry since it's been so rainy, so I went home on lunch and hung some out; I'm so glad I did! Then it was back to school where I was repeatedly swarmed by students asking about their marks; I was totally one of this students though so I guess this is pay back!
After school I did some more report card stuff and then it was peer tutoring time (again). I met Matt, Van and Mel at the front gate later and we caught a cab into town. Apparently there was someone blocking the street as a protest or something though so it took us forever to get into town (and we still have on idea what the blockade was all about; neither did the cab drive [Van speaks Chinese]). We finally got to the place we were going though; a Japanese Restaurant. It was tasty! I got Mexican Style Beef in a hot pot or something. It was nice to have something different! AND I got Miso Soup; love Miso Soup! Afterwards we obviously made our customary trip to get ice cream! It was also delish.
The night market was hopping tonight. I'll need to do more laundry tomorrow because I bought a blanket and a couple of scarves. I'm a little wary of buying a blanket hanging on a rack outside in a Chinese Market; so I'll probably wash it before I use it. I bartered for the first time in China tonight too! I asked how much for the scarf and she said 20 RMB and I got 2 for 30 RMB; I probably still got ripped off but I was so proud of myself! The next bartering experience was less successful though. I bought a blanket, just to have on the couch and he asked 40 RMB and I got it for 35 RMB (just over 5$). I was still pretty excited though! They have lots of fake purses and wallets at the market, but they're still pretty pricey even though they're fake (compared to the price of everything else, not ACTUALLY expensive when you compare it to home).
Today I was wandering around the classroom while the students did some work and one of the girls called me over and said she had a question. I said, yeah? She said...but it's not necessary...I was like umm... okay? Then she explained that she meant it wasn't math related. Her question was "is it popular for girls to have gaps in their front teeth?" I laughed and said I dunno for European models maybe? She just kind of nodded and I started feeling my front teeth and asked if I had a gap in mine (paranoid much?). She laughed and said she had been watching America's Next Top Model and wondered! I laughed so hard! Then the girl beside her said okay, I also have a question. Her question: How much are braces in Canada? I told her they were normally around $5000 and found a calculator and told her that that is around 31500 RMB. Her jaw dropped, she couldn't believe it. Apparently in China it costs 3000 RMB, but she can't get them here since she's leaving for school and wouldn't be able to make the appointments. Then a girl asked (they are just full of questions especially once the ball gets rolling) how much glasses were and I said that the ones I was wearing cost $250 which is 1500 RMB and she said that glasses in China are 300 RMB; like less than 50$! I however am not convinced that they are good quality glasses since these kids swap glasses with each other or one kid will use another kids glasses upside down and they almost ALL complain about seeing the board!
I must have stopped myself like ten times today when writing the date down or saying something about the date and been like HOLY CRAP IT'S NOVEMBER! I cannot believe it! I am also super glad that tomorrow is Friday! I don't plan on doing anything exciting this weekend but I love knowing it's the weekend!
Two more classes left and I am free to .... do more work; but at my own pace and with sleeping in!
Oh my gosh just this second someone on my facebook made their status about Movember; that did not even OCCUR to me! Maybe I'll try to grow out my mustache.....
No comments:
Post a Comment