Today is Halloween, now both in China and at home! I wore my cow costume ALL DAY today.... I was way past sick of wearing it by the time I could finally change! The kids LOVED it though. They were confused though because most of them didn't realize today was Halloween and not the day of their Halloween party. It was a little hard to take myself seriously trying to teach them while I was dressed as a cow, especially because every time I took a step I could feel my tail move!
It was also interesting between classes when I decided I should go to the washroom. It is a full onesy with only buttons down the front; it was a challenging but successful experience! Mel was the only other staff member with any Halloween spirit. I could at least explain to the students why I was dressed this way but when I walked through campus and the students and teachers in the regular Chinese school saw me I got lots of laughs, a double take from pretty much everyone and lots of whispers as well as yells of "you're cute!" Cute is one of the more favoured words of Chinese people as far as I've seen. A lot of them seem to know what it means and people who do not speak much English still say it.
I went out for lunch today. Originally I was going to go across the street but they were beyond busy so we decided to go elsewhere (all while dressed as a cow I might remind you). The people around our school now think I'm cuh-razy! The place we went for lunch was new to me and it was awesome. Meghann, onother teacher, went with us and she speaks quite a bit of Chinese and ordered for us. She always orders no oil and no salt, it was so nice to have a meal out where it was not drenched in oil and salt! I need to learn these words so that I can order it for myself!
When I got back to the school I just did some marking before my next class. One of the students asked why my costume wasn't on (I had it just tied around my waist because I was boiling hot). I said because I was warm and she said, "please put it back on before this afternoon's class, we like it." So of course I did (and I didn't have time to go home and change anyway and I can't (probably could but won't) wear a tank top to class. I also gave the kids little chocolate bars today (they have NEVER gone trick-or-treating, only one kid knew what I meant right away when I said that). Then I told them stories about how trick-or-treating works and how sometimes people egg peoples houses on Halloween; they thought this was hilarious! They also thought it was funny that my older siblings used to steal my candy and that I used to trick Mary into making candy trades that were WAY better for me (poor Mary)!
I have no finished marking the make-up assignment, it wasn't much of a make-up; several students actually did WORSE on the make-up.... not sure how that works. Now I just have a couple of things to do before I can finally start making my report cards, I should hopefully be able to get them done this weekend (here's hoping)! We did peer tutoring again tonight, it went well! A new person had asked to be tutored last week, so she and her tutor came, along with one of the same pairs as last week (the other pair form last week re-scheduled for tomorrow). I even had a student show up to do his work in there so that he could ask questions if he had any; I think this whole idea may work out and I'm really excited about it!
Now I have finished my work and it is 9pm, which means it is almost bed time! Oh the exciting life I lead..... P.S. Happy Canadian AND Chinese Bday to Amanda and Vee!
No comments:
Post a Comment