And there I was, exhausted again....
And there I was, avoiding the gym....again
And there I was, procrastinating from work (by obsessively checking facebook, email and thought catalog [that I blame on my friend Megan])...again
And there Mel was, making me go to the gym.... again
And there I was, steaming vegetables for dinner...again
And there I was....cutting my shower short because the hot water ran out...again
And there I sat, in my bedroom (at my desk) listening to the weird music and screaming from outside....again
And yet I'm as happy as a clam! [a saying which I've never fully understood].
That was what happened once I was done work this evening, prior to now. At this point, I've actually done quite a bit of work (impressive I know)! And by work I mean organizing all of my stuff, that is definitely one of my main fall backs as a teacher...lack of organizational skills. I don't get it though my teachers I had throughout school always gave me E's in organizational skills...hmmmmm (lol).
So naturally I let myself get distracted after doing only like 2 hours of work and blog about what I was thinking about (which was not work). I was thinking about all of the weird things I've gotten "used to (don't pay much attention to anymore)"
I came home and immediately knew I didn't want to go to the gym, so I settled in to not go. Then Mel came over and asked to go to the gym and I knew I WOULD go. Sometimes you just need that little motivation to make yourself leave your "house." Then I came home from the gym, started up the shower heater right away (which I meant to do BEFORE the gym) and started to make dinner. Since I was not that hungry I knew that instead of dumplings and/ or eggs and veggies, I would just be steaming veggies. And then there's the big decision of the chili sauce or the other sauce (no idea what it is, it's written in Chinese, and not as good as my chili sauce so I think its going to last me awhile lol).
So then as I settled in to do work I naturally get my spicy peanuts from the market to snack on. I don't look at them as I eat them so I occasionally have to pull the weird spices that are HUGE out of my mouth because I don't think they are meant to be eaten (and the ones I have missed, burn the heck out of my mouth). So there I was working away and my window was open so naturally I hear the students chanting some weird stuff in their Chinese classrooms. Then it was break time so some weird lady comes over the speakers also kind of chanting, then music. Music that I can now hum and half sing along to even though it's in another language. Then I just laughed at how I didn't think it was weird for a little while.
I was also thinking tonight about where my mind goes when certain things happen now that I'm in China (oh there's the kids chanting again...). If I hear ANYTHING at all in my apartment then instead of AX MURDERER like I would think at home, I immediately think some sort of creature. Then I scratch an itch on my head and I immediately think CHINESE HEAD LICE (it must somehow be different than the regular kind) and I know my sister Loretta is asking as she reads this, "did you take tea tree oil? (she's a hair dresser)" The answer Loretta is no ....I remembered many things, but that was not one of them. Someone says hello to me on the street (I almost typed hi, but it's never hi, it's always hello) and instead of assuming I know them like I would at home I brace myself for an excited Chinese person who just saw a white person. Except on campus, usually a hello/greeting of some sort means it is one/ a group of my students. I swear to God I was 200 feet behind them today on campus and a group of them turned around waving and screaming hello (better than being ignored I guess).
Anyways I should get back on the work wagon before I fall too far off.
No comments:
Post a Comment