Last night we experienced a Chinese dance bar.... it was an interesting experience. Had a few lost in translation moments, those are always fun. We ordered 3 drinks when we first got there (I went with 2 other teachers). And when our bill came they had charges us nearly 400 RMB too much; so we were asking why and NO ONE spoke enough english to be able to tell us. They eventually found someone who could and it turned out they were charging us for the table we were sitting at; so naturally, we moved ahah. Then we ordered our drinks again; because we still hadn't gotten them and 20 minutes later they told us that we couldn't order cocktails lol. So we ordered beer and finally the night began!!!
We were the only non-Chinese people at the bar and got stared at A LOT! It was funny to watch people watching our every move, and even funnier to watch them get progressively more drunk and eventually start trying to talk to us haha. People would come up to us or try to get us to sit at their tables and it went the same almost every time: Do you speak Chinese? No. You're beautiful. Thank you. Then they'd yammer on in Chinese and we'd shrug and smile. After the dance floor got started it was really fun! These people have some pretty crazy dance moves! We met these two girls who hung out with us for most of the night. I have never had my photo taken so many times in my life. By the end of the night I think we could have been charging. We're probably going to be all over the Chinese equivalent of Facebook #WhiteGirlLivingInChinaProblems.
Naturally our night ended with us going to the food street. I love this place. I had to order my food myself this time since the person who normally does it for me never came out with us. It taste delicious! My cousin Kait and I skyped this morning and she yelled at me again for eating street food in CHINA, but I can't stop! lol. Today has been a pretty lazy day so far, maybe i'll do more work tomorrow!
Also speaking of crazy dance moves! One of my students brought in a video of him and his friends break dancing; they are so good! I want to try and get him to do it in class. It came up in a really funny way:
He was asking a question about graphing after class and then said "Miss Young, do you like dance?"
ME: Dance?
Yes dance.
Me: Sure....
I'm a break dancer
Me: Yeah I think someone said that...
Are you going to the New years party?
Me: The one in February (for Chinese new year)?
Yeah
Me: um....maybe?
Okay, I'll be dancing at it!
And then the next day he brought in the video; these kids are so funny. Now I'm going to go see what this Sports Meeting is all about; I can hear from the apartment that it has started!
**This is the third time I have tried to write this blog. My internet has been iffy all day. As it turns out I have now gone to the sports meeting. As I walked into the stadium one of my students told me that another student from my class would be running soon; good timing! I was happy I got to see Tom run the 400 m race. These kids were running in the craziest outfits though. Some were wearing jeans and sweaters, others weren't wearing proper running shoes; to each their own I guess!
| Outside of the bar; so many lights! |
| The bar! |
| Sweet chairs we found |
| So comfy! |
| WHOA! |
| There's a clown...in the bar....he was making balloon animals; I swear to God |
| Two of our friends; the one on the left was a crazy dancer, the other always looks worried lol |
| This was definitely a Mary move, giving a Chinese girl a piggy back in a bar.... she looks terrified. |
| This is at the food street! These people are who I go to every time! YUM |
| Definitely not getting this tonight, but nice to know it's there lol |
| So much food! |
| Appetizing |
| Mel's favourite; and yes we have concluded that she took that beer from the bar, in the cab and to the food street. |
Now I am going to finish marking one of my assignments (hopefully) and then I'm going to go into town and get ingredients for my dessert for the BBQ and probably go to Starbucks :).
that food looks SO good. YUM!
ReplyDeleteLOOKS LIKE VEGAS LOL
ReplyDelete