So last night I was up late and thinking about how it would be nice to have Thanksgiving. So like I said, I invited everyone out. We had 8 people come out for it (I think I'm counting right) which was exciting. We went across the street to "Grandma's" which just moved into a new, bigger and better (mainly cleaner and with fewer flies) restaurant. We ordered a beef dish, chicken and lots of veggies. It was REALLY yummy. Not your typical Thanksgiving dinner, but I am not a huge fan of turkey anyway. The one thing I did miss is all the yummy desserts that my family usually makes for Thanksgiving dinner....those I would be VERY thankful for right now!
I ended up having to give an interesting talk to my second section of students today. Instead of a "shape-up" talk as would usually be given it was a "don't be so hard on yourselves talk." SO MANY kids in this class were upset with themselves over their grades. The lowest mark was a 72% and the average was 90%....I'm sorry but in Ontario people would be through the roof! Some kids were almost crying and I had no idea what to do; so I just tried to explain how the marks would be distributed in Ontario, I don't think it helped but I had no idea what else to do. I'm sorry....90% is not a BAD mark. Hopefully they catch on soon! I think a lot of them worry though because the math mark is what helps them get into university since their other grades are usually so low; which I understand.
The tickets out of class in my second section were more of the same for the most part....they even copied off of each other on those (will they ever learn? lol). I've known people to copy off of others in board games though so I can't really talk.
In my second section I showed a photo of my brother Jim dressed up as Ronald McDonald, the kids thought it was the best thing they had ever seen! I then had to explain to a student who couldn't believe how tall I was (I guess they're usually sitting while I stand) that I am the second shortest in my family; he did not believe this was possible.
Anywho, I need to go lesson plan for tomorrow and probably finish the latest episode of Dexter. I hate watching scary shows now that I live by myself, I'm such a baby!!
Hey this is Tim, lol, from Tom Russell's PHYS. Stumbled across your blog on Facebook news feed while at work :P So don't worry, I'm not stalking you.
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to say it's really cool to see your take on China. On the topic of the little kids and them crying about their mark, that's totally normal - they are conditioned to believe that only the highest mark will get them into the best university. Unfortunately, this is true 98% of the time; not being the top of the class to a large extent determines their job, and hence social status later in life. So don't think it's your fault or anything!
And Dexter was awesome.
I'm glad you're working hard ;). Thank you!!! I miss you guys!
ReplyDelete