Monday, October 8, 2012

Another Sunny Day

So it currently feels like 25 degrees (celsius for all you old folks lol) in Jinhua,  - 1 in Peterborough and 4 in Kingston (I sound like the guy who does the weather on 105!). I'd say sucks to be you guys, but i'd be happier if the temperature was always around like 18. Just ALL DAY AND NIGHT 18 degrees, that would be awesome (my cousin Kait is punching me through the computer right now I'm sure, that would be far too cold for her, she'd like for it to be 40 degrees all year round...weirdo). Speaking of my cousin Kait I got my first bits of snail mail today!!!!! Two were from Kait and one was from my parents (I think the mail got pretty messed up by the week holiday or else I probably would have gotten it sooner).

There were letters in all 3, and in Kait's there were photos and maple candies, yummmmmmmmmm. They're gone already don't you worry! I love getting mail, it's the best!!!

We just went out for lunch, I had some veggies here but Mel had zero food (its easy to run out since none of it stays good for very long). We went to this place we've gone to one other time and successfully ordered with no words and got EXACTLY what we wanted, it was AWESOME. I am stuffed and I'm sure she is too and for a beef/pepper dish, a tomato/egg dish and a cabbage dish it cost 40 RMB altogether for us to eat lunch. That means that it was around 3 dollars each; madness!!!!!

I have only had once class so far today. It is nice to be back to work; I feel like I have a little more of a purpose (not that watching tv and eating food doesn't mean I have a purpose...but it makes me feel pretty useless lol). I went to the office early and got some work done, surprising I know (especially since I had no sleep which I'll come back to later). I had my first section back since the holiday and it was nice! We started the new unit (Trigonometric Functions for those of you who care) and they added words to our word wall! I showed them photos from my trip and some from Halloween back home (Since we'll be having a Halloween party here) One was of me and my two girlfriends (Vee and Annalisa) dressed up as people from Mario Kart, they found it less funny considering that they don't play Mario Brothers games.....but I assured them it was awesome. I also showed them a photo of my brother Joe with a pumpkin on his head, someone else was in the photo but I couldn't tell who bc they had a full pumpkin on lol! The kids thought it was great.

I also did Tickets out of Class for the first time. I learned about them from one of my two favourite teacher's college professors, Tom (not just my favourite because he knows about my blog, he is great). I asked the kids to write down any concerns or questions they had or they could right something I should START, STOP and KEEP doing. They mostly chose the latter. I liked reading them :). I did this once in my placement class and I got a lot of START giving us candy and STOP giving us homework; there was less of this with these kids, but still some!! A lot of them were really good! I think it is a good idea to do that with them since so many of them are so timid and don't like putting their hand up in class and even if they do put their hand up in class I have to go over to them, they don't like asking in front of one another. I am excited to see how it goes with the other two sections.

I was feeling pretty bummed about missing Thanksgiving and all of the awesome food and people (even when I was away at school I never missed Thanksgiving, I missed Easter once though). So today I asked everyone I ran into if they`d want to go for dinner (I didn't know if everyone would want to) and I think almost everyone wants to. Two of our friends are sick and still may come, two are American and I think are coming, two are Chinese and are coming and I think most of them don't really care much about the holiday and just want to come for dinner, but at least we are all going lol!

I told my kids today that when they're in Canada they will get this day off next year. They all got really excited! Then I told them that they also won't have gotten the past week off, that made them feel a little luckier to be here right now haha. Now I am still on lunch (love Chinese lunch) and am at home doing laundry and I of course cannot turn my music loud enough to drown out the Airplane and banging sounds that the washing machine makes, but I really needed to do laundry; my dad mentioned last week that my room here always looked cleaner (on skype) than it did at home, he would have taken that back yesterday if he saw that most of my belongings were on my floor.

Now about the lack of sleep last night. So I killed a HUGE spider last night, like gigantic...it was scary. So I avoided bed for awhile because I knew that this spider probably had friends and family coming to seek revenge, but around midnight I eventually manned up and went to bed (I had to be up by 6) Well I may as well have just stayed up all night since I think I slept for about an hour total. I was whining about it today saying that it sounds like the people above me move their furniture around all night and a woman stomps around in heels AND there is a phone on their floor vibrating, but then Matt (another teacher, the one who is sick...thanks a lot for coming to work pal lol) said that they can hear is in their apartment too and they are pretty far away from me in the building .So after asking around it sounds like most people can hear it, thank goodness I fought my instinct to go tell them to shut the **** up at 4 am! None of us know what it is!!! I hope it stops soon, because I was going CRAZY last night and was SO exhausted today!

These are the photos I showed my students from Halloween; I'm sure most of my friends and family know why most photos were censored.

My brother Joe and a mystery friend at Mom and Dads. I actually don't think I was even home this Halloween.

My friend Natalie dressed as a sexy-gesimal; although I told the kids that she was just a plain old babylonian number, oh Orzech would be so proud lol. I told the kids that the photo was taken in the Math Building at my University though and they got pretty excited.

Me as Yoshi; I think I lost a few respect points

Me, Vee and Annalisa, best costumes EVER. Miss you guys <3
The kids really like Halloween and were excited to see the photos. I need to figure out what to dress up as. Something easy to make, but fun!!!! And something that they will also "get." Not like the yoshi thing even though its my favourite costume ever! Anywho, my washing machine is making new noises at me, which probably means its done; I should go hang it up and go back to work!

1 comment:

  1. Send me your OFFICIAL Address again!!!! Please! The one everyone else mailed it to! I have gathered several things to send you :)!

    ReplyDelete