So I ran out of bread the other day and then ended up finishing the granola bars that I had brought with me. So I had no more food left for breakfast. My cousin Kait made fun of me because I skyped with her in the morning the other day and while I talked to her I was spreading peanut butter onto a banana to eat it for breakfast. So today I decided I had to go into town so that I could get more bread among other things.
I decided to go to Walmart since I hadn't gone there by myself yet....well that was a terrifying experience. I was unsure nearly the entire time whether I was going the right way and I had to cross those two HUGE intersections that I've told you about, but I made it! Then I decided I wanted starbucks and was also not entirely sure the exact way to walmart from where I was, but I knew how to get there from starbucks. So I had my first Chinese starbucks, I got a Caramel Machiato (bad spelling). It was delish; tasted just like at home. Did I mention that in Beijing (and pardon the french here) they accidentally called it "Starfucks" instead? I nearly died when I found that out.
So after I left there I was biking to Walmart, which was also confusing because I knew the general direction but not the exact route. So finally Walmart was in sight and then I realized that I had to take this giant highway to get across the street (or go under the road but going down all of those stairs on my bike would have sucked). So I threw my helmet back on and off I went. The thing is I need to make a U-Turn and there is a lane for that but it is on the far RIGHT! Go figure. So the light went that said the U-Turn lane could go...so off I went dodging cars coming at me from all directions..I honestly thought I was going to get hit; I was so relieved I didn't!!!
So I got to walmart, bought some bread, honey nut cheerios (I'll let you know how they are) some shrimp (I'm cooking it right now) and a few other things. The bike home was dark and kind of scary, but not nearly as bad as the way there. Luckily I have Mel the direction expert to call when I was leaving to make sure I was going the right way!! Anyway, I'm home safe and sound and now I need to make dinner. Tomorrow is Friday!! YAY! Did I mention that I have now been here for 4 weeks!! Almost a month! 9 More to go (less than that even, nuts)!
I was telling Kari about your crazy intersections last night, and I think we both agree that (in the words of my Poppa) "She sure better be careful"
ReplyDelete