Today was the second day for my new course, nothing super exciting happened. We are mostly doing review this week which is good considering that after this week the kids have a month off where they will not be doing math homework! I also had a parent interview today; those are never super fun, but it went okay. When I got to my desk after class ended I also had my utilities bill on my desk (which is written on a sticky note by our assistant; super official). For just under a month (Dec. 29 until yesterday) it was just over 400 RMB (just under 70$) and that's the most it's been yet; so even though it seemed like a lot, it really wasn't!
Two funny things happened with my kids yesterday that I forgot to blog about. One of my kids had gotten a haircut so I said "Hey, nice haircut." He said "No, I look like an onion!" His hair is kind of like a faux-hawk but instead of being in a line down the center it rises to a point in the middle; which really is kind of like an onion. I couldn't even help it, I laughed right there. I tried to assure him that it looked fine (and not onion-like) but he didn't really believe me. Then I saw him today and I laughed again because now he tells me that it's like a triangle; also true. This is the same student who one day a couple weeks ago was sitting outside with one pant-leg rolled up and Mel walked by and asked what he was doing and he replied "trying to get some Vitamin D; it's best absorbed through your leg." I don't know where this kid comes up with this stuff.
The other funny thing yesterday happened while one of the sections was cleaning the classroom. One kid is on crutches so he obviously isn't very helpful to a cleaning crew; this is the same kid who has been in a wheel chair for awhile. He hopped (literally) up to the front and said, Miss Young, don't you think I've grown? I said I don't know, you've been sitting down a lot lately lol. But he insisted that he had gotten taller and I was like yeah okay I don't know. I had forgotten that at the beginning of the year he had asked how tall I was and I said I don't know like 5'8" or 5'9"? But they only do metric here so he was confused. So I told him that my drivers license says 173 cm. He said no, no, that can't be right. I was like, well that's what it says? He said you are taller than that because I am 173 cm (this kid is obsessed with height; he seems pretty worried about getting to Canada next year and being considered short). So then yesterday he proceeded to say, I am 175 cm now, so you are AT LEAST 177 cm. I told him that I don't think he's right. So he said he wanted to bet me. I asked what I'd get and he said ice cream. So now if I get my height measured and I am less than 177 cm, I get free ice cream lol!
I checked and I'm pretty sure that 177 cm is almost 5'11"; which I am not, so I think I will be getting ice cream!
No comments:
Post a Comment