Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Found in Translation?

Sometimes, with having to translate everything, the things the students say can be extremely confusing; they get "lost in translation." But then there are times where they translate things in a very direct and blunt manner that catches you off guard. I had a student last week tell me I was scary, all of the other students laughed because I am not in fact scary; they tell my friend Matt that he is scarier all of the time. But I honestly believe that this particular student finds me scary and I have no idea why! He isn't disruptive so I never have to get him in trouble and he's pretty smart so he has a good mark; I'm not sure what I could have done that makes him think I'm scary.

Today a student was asking me about what babies eat in Canada; it was a confusing question and he did not seem happy with my answer. Then another student (the one who thinks I am scary) said, carrying on from the same conversation, I wonder what you looked like when you were a baby; asking me. I said, I don`t know, I guess I looked like a baby? He said, oh you don't have photos? I remembered that I have a photo from when I was younger, not a baby by any means, on my computer because I found it before I left for China and thought it was hilarious so I put it on my computer. I put the photo up on the projector and showed the kids, they thought it was funny/ interesting to see me when I was little. They also thought it was weird when I told them that my hair has gotten darker and more curly as I've gotten older, one said whoa like magic and another said Chinese hair sucks!



Afterwards I went back over to the original student and said, so that was me when I was little; happy? He said, yes, you were much more cute when you were little. I couldn't help but laugh and then told him that that was not very nice to say. He assured me it was a good thing because now he finds me less scary. I was like so you find me less scary because you know I used to be cute? He simply said yes. Then in an attempt to make what he had said better he said, "it's just that you're scary now because you're NOT cute anymore." I said, you're not helping your case, I am just going to cry myself to sleep now. He didn't seem to care. It was pretty funny! Because some things can translate SO easily, like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment