Wednesday, November 14, 2012

As promised...

As promised, here is a photo of the card from Jeanna. And I took a photo of some of the letters Mary sent:

Card from Jeanna and the fam!

Cards/other stuff, from Mar! <3
You guys are the best!

As per usual there are currently fireworks going off outside, I can't see them but they've been making noise for like 5 minutes solid. Peer tutoring ended about 45 minutes ago, so I am at home now; you can see that my marking is going really well (not at all). But I remembered some things I forgot to blog about, so obviously that comes first!

I found out last week that the kids (I forget whether I blogged about this or not) only get hot showers on Wednesdays and Saturdays, so other days they either have to not shower or suck it up and have a cold shower. They share 6 kids to a room with like wooden beds and a bathroom with no door (to think these kids pay a lot of money to be here). But I think the thing that surprised me most I found out today; their rooms aren't heated! I guess in the winter it's a good thing they're at school all day because they at least have heat part of the day! I asked if they slept in their winter coats and they laughed, but I wasn't really kidding! It's BARELY cold here and I'm sleeping in a sweater and wool socks! They said that they have heat at their homes (at least most of them nodded) and so it must be so strange to have a nice warm place to live with your parents but then go to school Monday to Saturday and have no heat! It made me so thankful to (a) have a heater in my apartment for whenever I DO decide to turn it on (b) have grown up where I did; love central heating! Speaking of "when" I turn on my heater. Some people reading this may remember how cold my house in second year was. We were trying so hard to not turn the heat on, I think our goal was November 1st. It was to the point where you could see your breath in the house and it was actually warmer outside! We all got used to it and would still walk around in pajama shorts and stuff in the morning. But then our friends would come over and leave their coats on! We eventually gave in and turned on the heat; I have already held out past November 1st here! Haha, not that it gets as cold as fast. 

Anywho, NOW it's time to do marking!

No comments:

Post a Comment