Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tough Decisions

Today was exhausting. Tuesdays usually are because Tuesdays and Wednesdays are my two long days. But today felt extra long. I mentioned before that I had to pick the two students from one of the sections who would be on the yearbook committee. After the initial 16 volunteers I re-worded the position and emphasized how much work it would be and that they'd have to say no to their friends who submitted work that wasn't good. This speech cut the number of volunteers in half. So today I asked the other two sections to vote for who they would want. This helped me narrow it down to 3. So then I couldn't decide whether I should just choose two (I was allowed to make the decision however I wanted, some drew names, some just appointed people) or what my other options were. So I put it to a vote in the actual section it pertained to. The person who was first in the other two sections came first again and of course the other two TIED! I was so annoyed by the end. Especially because the last vote was just between two people; but I still can't think of a better way to do it. At least it's over now though.

I don't turn on the heat in my classroom very much, in fact, today is the second day; because I HATE being too hot. I could tell some of the kids were cold, but in all of their classrooms they wear their winter coats so I didn't think it could be too bad with a winter coat on, I just go in my regular teaching clothes. Today a student asked me if they could turn it on so I said they could, but I really do prefer to be cold than hot. Our principal asked me today if I had mosquitoes in my apartment, I said that no I only ever see them in the office (which is scorching hot, I HATE it in there now lol). He said oh weird, we have them in ours. Then the assistant said, maybe your apartment is too warm, they prefer warm places (obviously). Then I clued in to the fact that I've only had the heat on in my apartment once so far too; the world makes sense!

The kids had an in-class assignment today; yay more marking! I've also been working on a trivia game that I want them to play at the end of the week; I think it will be fun! I booked (well the assistants helped me) my train ticket to Shanghai for this coming weekend! I am so excited to see Bryan and Laura and to see a Hockey game!!!!!!! My friend Mel is training to Shanghai with me but she is visiting other people and staying in another part of town. I think we are going to try and hit a silk market where they sell all kinds of knock-off stuff! Should be fun.

It's 28 days until Christmas and one month until Jim's Birthday! That's exciting. I'm so lazy sometimes, I still haven't put my Christmas lights back up, but I DID bring tape home tonight, so hopefully I do it later. I cannot believe it's almost December! That's nuts!

Oh my gosh I almost forgot. So one of Mel's kids said something in her class (I wasn't there) about how he thought I was young and she said, well how young do you think she is? And he said I dunno...30? And she was like ummm..... try 23. And then she told him that was mean and he should apologize. So today I hear "Miss Young?"after all of my kids had already left class. And I looked up and her kid was there and he said I'm sorry and handed me a chocolate bar! That kid knows how to seek out forgiveness lol! Another funny story: My student asks "Miss Young, are there many strong people in Canada?" umm... I don't know. "But like....do you see strong people often?" Me: I guess it depends on where I am and stuff..? Student: "But in the movies, they are all so strong" Me: Yes and everyone is also a ten (I speak before thinking sometimes) Student: "A ten?...ten? ohhhhh, like good looking!" Me: Yes, don't believe everything you see in movies. Student: "I think I should be stronger." Me: ...walking away. These kids kill me. Then after a student asked me if there are parties at university and I said yes. But like, how they are in the movies? I said, I don't know...what movies are you watching. And then he kept yammering on about stuff he saw on movies, I said you can have whatever kind of party you like lol. I don't know what to say to them sometimes!

Anywho, I should say I'm going to do work, but knowing me I'll watch some tv and read thought catalog. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment