Everyone kept telling me when I was coming to China, or when I read about it on the internet, or even once I arrived that I was going to experience CRAZY culture shock. I did a little. I think because of the city I am (since it is not super small or super huge) it is a little less dramatic, which makes me happy and I kind of hope it stays that way! Today though was one of the biggest shocks I have had, I am not sure whether it counts as culture shock, but I think it does.
My current unit I am doing is coming to an end and the students will be having some review days. I thought a fun thing to do would be to make a jeopardy game on power point as review and it would all be about trigonometric functions! Today I mentioned to the once class that if we had two good review days then we could play a game! Then it dawned on me that they probably have NO IDEA what jeopardy is. So I asked and NO ONE, not even the one Canadian born girl! I was blown away. It makes total sense, but still, blown away!
At first I was thinking okay, maybe another game; something they can relate to. Then I decided, NO! We are doing jeopardy, they can learn what jeopardy is! So I am currently making up the jeopardy game and finding clips of jeopardy being played on the internet.
Both of my students who had broken legs came back today. It's funny to see the dedication difference, one is in a wheel chair and the other looks like he could run a marathon. The one still in a wheel chair told me that he came back because his marks are already falling; his marks are anything but low! These kids are the best.

No comments:
Post a Comment