Monday, November 19, 2012

Great Students

I remember doing my placements in my 5 years at school and how they were kind of like when I first learned to drive. The person teaching you needs to be there for obvious reasons, but you'd be way less nervous if no one else was there! When I got my G1 I remember how nervous I was and that it was just made worse by mom and dad being there, they needed to be there or I'd probably be dead right now, but it still made me more nervous. The same went with my placements, someone needed to be there to make sure I didn't go crazy and hit a kid or just not teach them anything, but constantly having another teacher watching me was nerve racking! On the few occasions where my Professor from Queen's also came to observe I was even MORE nervous. Part way through my placements last year I was comfortable enough that I just wished I could be by myself.

That was my favourite thing when I first started teaching. That even when I messed up, there wasn't another teacher there judging me and usually the kids don't notice or care. And often times if they do notice, they're more sympathetic than another teacher would be. I was reminded of this today when our Supervising Principal who usually works from Canada came to my classroom. I had been told earlier today that some day this week he "might" drop by my room. So when I saw him in the hallway this afternoon my stomach was immediately doing somersaults. I had a short blurb to give at the beginning of class that just clarified (funny story, when I went to write clarified, I started writing terrified....freudian slip) some terms and then the students had to work in groups and present their questions that were given. I was SO glad that the entire lesson was not me talking but I felt bad that the kids had to present in front of him, because it's also nerve racking for them!

Luckily, my kids are awesome! I don't think it would have even mattered which section it was. The students worked well in their groups and their presentations were funny, creative (I told them to add a dramatic component) and just all around good! When the Supervising Principal left we were all a little more at ease. I told them at the end of class how awesome they were for being on their best behaviour. I'm not sure I could have counted on that if I were teaching in Ontario, with some classes I could for sure, but not EVERY class. We don't normally take breaks every class, the students prefer to leave 10 minutes early to beat other people to the cafeteria. So today when I mentioned break, since that's what we should be doing and I wanted to do everything "by the book'ish" in front of my observer, I was surprised when none of them hesitated or questioned why today we were taking a break. They are just the best.

I was in the office marking today during my prep period (after I finished blogging earlier, blogs come first obviously) and one of my students came into see me. She looked kind of flustered/ different than normal and it turns out that she might be going to Canada a semester early! If they can't reach all of the requirements for their program they want at university here then they are sent to a sister school in Canada in January. It sounds like this is what she will for sure be doing; I think 3 students are considering it. I was so sad when she told me. I am to have all of the same students next semester as this semester, so it will be sad if/ when some of them leave. But overall it will be better for her, she will get to practice her English more (there will be less opportunity to speak Chinese) and she will be able to be more adjusted to living in Canada before university starts. I told her this and she seemed to calm down a little and then had to head back to class. I got thinking though, I can't imagine these kids having to do this so young! It's one thing to live a few hours from home during high school, which I still think is hard, but these students will be living across the WORLD from their family while they're still in high school! It's crazy! But I guess they really know what they want in life and their willing to make those sacrifices.

I meant to go to the market today, but I ran out of time and so now I am enjoying the one other box of Kraft Dinner that mom and dad brought me. It is tasty, but I really need to go to the market tomorrow! Now I am going to do some marking while I eat dinner (KRAFT dinner that is haha) and then later I will try to post photos from the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment