Sunday, November 11, 2012

Weekend with Ma and Pa

I think this is the longest I have gone without blogging since I started, but with good reason! My parents got here on Thursday night. They were supposed to arrive around 9 pm so I got to the hotel for 8:30 in case they were early. At around 10:15 I texted our assistant to see if she had heard from the driver, because they were late! Finally they arrived at 11:30! I was so happy to see them. It turns out that they really got to see what I meant about the driving in China first hand; they got rear-ended before they even got out of Shanghai! So they were late because the driver had to deal with that! In the mean time they stopped at a McDonalds with their driver and mom had to use her first squat toilet; poor Nanc.

I had school in the morning on Friday, the big COMC Math Competition, so I could not stay the night with them. I hung out with them for about an hour and a half, where mom gave me a preview of all the great things they brought for me! We were all pretty tired and I went back to the school at around 1 am to get rested up for the next day! The students were writing the contest and at about 9:15 my principal came in and said that Meghann, another teacher, had seen two foreigners get out of a cab and it was probably my parents, I said I'd be done at 10:30 and for him to just let them know. Sure enough ten minutes later I turn around to see two crazy Canadians waving at me from outside the window. I think the kids writing the contest that I was nuts as I waved back!

When they contest ended I took my parents around to introduce them to my kids and to the other staff members. I showed them the office I work in, and they had already shown themselves a good deal of the campus. I took them for lunch to Grandmas, where I usually go and they got to try some Genuine Chinese dishes, they seemed to like them. Next I showed them my apartment, they were pretty impressed with my sweet digs. While we were there I got to see all of the things they brought! I got Halloween Candy, my new rain boots (which fit, thank goodness and are so warm), cold night time medicine, chocolate, long johns and mittens. They also brought some clothes I had left at home that I wanted to have here for winter. Some other awesome people sent stuff with my parents too! My someday-sister-inlaw Trean sent my Christmas present (we pick names and she got me) and it is sitting, still wrapped, in my living room; I am determined to not open it until Xmas. My Aunt Barb sent me a canister of one of my favourite teas from David's, and it worked out perfectly since I am nearly out of it! Thank you Barb! My sister Mary also sent me some tea from David's and some sweet cards (she makes the best cards and write the best poems lol). Loretta sent me some chocolate and my Aunt Peggy made me a scarf! I should be warm and happy for the winter with all of the tea, scarves and sweaters I have now!

Later Friday afternoon I had a class and mom and dad came to it for a bit. The kids were nervous around my parents and kept just giggling as I tried to get them to talk to them. We did more review for the test on Monday and then Mom took a group photo of my one section. I will need to get her photos from her when we go to Shanghai next weekend, she got some good ones! After classes ended we went into town and they saw the Chinese Walmart (because it's the only place I know how to say near their hotel so that is what I told the cab driver). Then we hungout at the hotel for a bit and went for dinner at Danny's Cafe which is nearby (it was POURING rain). Then like the crazy cats we are, we were in bed by 7:30 and I swear to god  mom was asleep 2 minutes later; I don't blame her, they must be so jet-legged!

On saturday it was a rainy day again but we went around town and they got to see the park and all of the places I go to everyday. We even ran into some of my students while we were out and about, both me and them were impressed that I would run into people I know in a city so big! We played some Ping Pong at the hotel, they kicked my butt, I guess being in China hasn't made me better at Ping Pong! Then I took them to the night market, where dad bartered for a dancing cow; it is the most hilarious thing I have ever seen! Saturday night mom and dad gave me my birthday present. I got two Pandora charms, they are so nice! I am excited to put them on my bracelet!

Today we got up and had breakfast at the hotel again, I forgot to mention the breakfast! It was so good! It was a buffet with omlettes and sausage and fruit and yogurt and coffee and hashbrowns and banana bread; I could eat there everyday! Then we went to the Mountain which turned out to also be the double dragon caves. It was really pretty there and I think it was a nice break from the city! We spent this afternoon walking around some more, playing Ping Pong and just relaxing. Mom and dad are now on their way back to Shanghai. I will meet them in Shanghai next weekend!

It was an awesome weekend! I am so glad they came to visit! Not many of the other teachers' parents have come to visit them, I'm pretty lucky.

Here are some photos; they are just taken with my old phone, Mom's are better! I need to go get ready for school for the week! Oh one last thing! Today is remembrance day at home, but in China is is called Single's Day (11-11). I think it is kind of like Valentine's Day. One of the teachers I work with actually proposed to his wife on single's day last year so it was 11-11-11, crazy! Have a good Sunday to everyone at home, and to people in China, go to bed, it's almost Monday! Oh and I almost forget to mention until I uploaded the photos; I could not find a cab after mom and dad got picked up tonight so finally a man in a tricycle van, they are kind of like underground cabs, stopped and said he'd drive me for 30 rmb, it took twice as long as usual but at least I wasn't standing on the curb anymore!

At Mom and Dad's hotel

Add caption

Random old phone we liked

Mom pooping her pants in a Chinese cab

The cab ride!

Are these the Chinese version of those family stickers at home?

You can see the mountain we're headed to!

ALMOST THERE

At the mountain! So nice to have them in China!

At the mountain, pretty!




Obviously dad kept shaking the bridge, typical dad

Add caption


The double dragon cave

You could take these boats (lying down) under the rock into another cave, we were not quite brave enough today



Exploring the cave


Guard dog?

Mom on her hike


A Taoist temple (I think). It looks like the one we went
to in Hangzhou, but is a different religion!


Such a nice view!

Add caption


Add caption


The same cave, different entrance we found



The other cave


It was dark in there! And there was dripping water, it was
kind of creepy, but also really pretty!

Reminds me of caves that
Mary and Lor and me went to in Colorado!

Enjoying some Chinese DQ. Their first experience
of ordering by pointing and hoping for the best;
it worked out!

Mom and Dad's hotel! I found it by walking towards the towers; they
light up!

The tricycle van, terrifying!

Safe?

Treats from mom and dad!

More goodies!

Mittens and long johns; i'm going to be warm
I hope!!

Lindors and Hair stuff, could I ask for more?

The scarf my Aunt made

Drugs and contact solution! Must-haves

The boots I have been waiting for!
They BARELY fit, feet please don't grow!

Granola bars, oatmeal and KD; so excited!

1 comment: