Well Week 1 of being back is over; I don't really think it counts when it's only 3 days though! I think I blogged about the student telling me his hair looked like an onion. Today him and another student were chatting on break and I was walking around and the other student stopped me and asked if we had a small round purple fruit in Canada. I asked if he meant a plum but he said that it was hairy and I was at a loss. He said you know a fruit that looks like his hair! I was like...I thought you looked like an onion he said, apparently this too. I was like oh, well at least you think your hair looks like a fruit or vegetable my sister says mine looks like a 13 year old boy. He said no Miss Young your hair is kind of like a mushroom. I nearly died laughing. He tried to make it sound better by insisting that having a mushroom-type haircut was in style in China; he was not fooling me lol!
I had another student come to me the other day telling me he had a secret. This student has sad some pretty outlandish things in the past so I was nervous about what his secret was. As it turns out I didn't have to be worried. His secret was that over the month off he had gone through the text book TWICE and done most of the problems already as well. His concern was that he found the LAST chapter of the book confusing. I assured him that he was probably already way too far ahead anyway!
I think ALL of the kids are too far ahead this semester. They've learned this stuff this past year they said (I thought it may have been earlier). They all seem SO bored with it. Not that math is usually super exciting but they seem EXTRA bored!
Yesterday was one of our friends birthdays (she works at another school in town) so four of us went for dinner to celebrate tonight. We got sushi; it was super tasty! After dinner was over they went on to have a drink but I was WAY too tired (those 3 day weeks can really get to you hahah) and just went to walmart and came home. On the plus side walmart had cheese AGAIN! AND..wait for it...BUTTER. Walmart went through a phase the past couple of months where they didn't even always have butter! I also bought some oats so that I can make some more macaroons from the stuff that Aunt Jean and Jeanna sent me. Other than making those this weekend will be pretty unexciting; I'm hoping to get ahead on my planning..who knows if that will happen!
Oh and I learned something today too! Our kids only have their Canadian classes this semester other than PhysEd on the Chinese side so they have WAY less class than last semester and today I found out that this means they get to go home on Friday's this semester! They actually get to act almost like regular school kids haha. When they told me I said oh good so I can give you more homework then (joking around)? And instead of laughing or saying NOOO they nodded....
I also cannot believe it's March! Yesterday it went up to around 25 I think and today it's going to go down to -1; I hope it starts working it's way back up again! I'm excited to not have to wear ten layers of clothes around my apartment and sleep with a heating blanket and hot water bottle lol!
The kids have started asking questions about Canada and Universities again so that's always entertaining. One question was where we go when we get sick and where we get antibiotics and whether they have Chinese medicine in Canada. Another questioned turned into a ten minute conversation about what Pizza Pizza is and whether there pizza is good or not... I told her it was great in comparison to Chinese pizza lol.
Oh and I almost forgot. So last night I was getting ready for bed and heard this huge bang outside of my door. As I walked out of my room I realized that it was a man banging on the door next to mine and yelling at the top of his lungs (in Chinese so I have zero idea what he was saying...damn). It went on for like ten minutes until someone from the apartment came out and talked to him and he was still yelling; it was SO weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment