Monday, March 25, 2013

Waffle Day

I knew the kids would not be happy with their test marks when I gave them back their tests today, but I wasn't QUITE prepared for the reaction. The class average for all three sections was higher than I would expect in Ontario, but many of them were still unhappy. In the first section though one student looked really upset when I handed him his test but I went on with taking it up. Ten minutes later he was sobbing with his head on his desk. I had no idea what to do. I walked over and told him he could go for a walk or something if he felt like it but instead he sat up rubbing his eyes and said no I'll stay [between sobs]. Since he wasn't leaving and everyone was staring I just went on with taking it up. He eventually stopped crying.

I was in the office at lunch and this same student came in. He then proceeded to tell me, "This isn't fair, last semester I hardly ever reviewed and would always do better than I did on this test." I looked at him and was like...really? Hardly ever reviewed eh? Not a good strategy for getting me to feel bad for you. He then was like I reviewed for this test for three days, blah blah blah. These kids really seem to think they can bug me into giving them marks; not going to happen!

Other than that my day hasn't be very exciting. I went to the store this evening and saw something on the shelf that I had never seen before. It kind of looked like the cans that evaporated milk come in so I tried to read it to see what it is, it didn't help. It always make me laugh the words they decide to put in English. Like you'll pick up a jar of something and you cannot tell at all what it is but in English it says "Best Quality Ingredients." Like best quality what? I have no idea what it is! This one made me laugh a lot too though:

It tells you in English that whatever is below is good to know....but then they write it in Chinese? Interesting

Tonight I get to skype my friends Erica and Kat. Apparently March 25th is Waffle Day; I had no idea! Luckily they informed me. So I get to chat with them while they eat their waffles and I'll hopefully eating something waffle-like!!

No comments:

Post a Comment