Yesterday was super stressful for a day where I only teach for 3 hours. The kids were crazy and would not listen to anything. And it wasn't just my kids it was ALL of the kids; every teacher I talked to said the same thing. I eventually got super annoyed and sarcastic with them; they were quiet by the end of class which was nice. And today they were much better. Except that ever since that one kid said the F word, the kids think it's HILARIOUS now to say it because they know I get irritated but also find it kind of funny; hopefully they don't pull that stuff when the Principal comes tomorrow...that would not be good. I hope they're smarter than that...but sometimes I wonder lol.
Mel said you're welcome in Chinese to her kids today and granted when we say words its not PERFECT but the kids asked her if she was speaking French.... I seriously don't get them sometimes lol. I rarely say anything to my kids in Chinese. Today I said the number 6 and they all died laughing... at least they didn't ask if it was French though lol.
This weather is so moody right now! It was beautiful today and 26 and tomorrow it's supposed to rain all day and by Thursday the high is only 11.... I wish it would just stay at 20 and sunny, but I don't think that's gonna happen. My sister and cousin come to visit me 3 weeks from today, so that's exciting! And I don't know if I mentioned but we actually get a random Chinese holiday for 3 days starting the day after they get here so that works out perfectly for me!
I made macaroons last night and put some in the container that I was giving back to the kid who brought me cake. One of the girls looked at me five minutes later and asked "Miss Young are those for eating?" I assured her that they were and she ate the smallest piece at first. And I guess since she didn't die the rest of the kids then started trying it too. I wasn't sure if they'd like them because Chinese people don't like things quite as sweet, she said they were delicious. But obviously they aren't going to tell me otherwise lol.
Two of my kids that didn't really try very hard last semester or get super high marks have been doing so well this semester; they put answers on the board and ask me questions...it has been really throwing me off. So today while they did their work outside I commented on the fact they were doing really good and one kid said yeah we want to get into the University of Ottawa. A couple of the other kids laughed because they don't seem to think it's a good school because it has a lower English requirement than other schools but I've explained to them like 10 times already that it's a good school and far better than some of the schools they've been told are good schools and that Ottawa is nice, but they don't listen. So I started talking about it again and one kid said but which do you like better, Ottawa or Toronto? I explained that I like Ottawa but that one of my friends said the other day she'd rather live in Toronto. He asked why I like Ottawa and I said because it's cleaner and I feel safer and it has a cute and fun downtown area. After the clean thing came up he said ohh...you must hate Jinhua! I said why must I hate Jinhua? He said because it's so dirty! I said well.... isn't all of China kind of dirty? He was like umm.. Miss Young...we're Chinese... I assured him that I was fully aware of this and he laughed. I explained again that they hold banisters that are washed with pee, and our assistant has been trying to convince us to eat pee eggs (I'll explain later).... that's dirty. They knew what I meant lol.
Now about the pee egg. I don't know if I've mentioned these before. I had heard about them from other teachers. The town where Harriet is from has these "pee eggs." They are quite literally what they sound like. They soak eggs in the urine of young boys (they have to be 10 or under) and then they eat them. It can't be girls pee, and they have to be young.... STRANGEST thing ever. Harriet texted us this weekend seeing if we wanted to try some; obviously I declined. She had some in the office on Monday on her desk...she tried to get me to smell it but I couldn't do it. She ate it. Even most Chinese people I've talked to about them think it's weird. That's one thing I can say I will definitely not try!
No comments:
Post a Comment