I went to get my train ticket today so that I can go meet Loretta and Jeanna in Hangzhou next Tuesday; pumped! I found out that there is like a little booth near the mall where you can buy tickets and then you don't have to go all the way to the train station. I went on lunch so I was nervous that I would get lost and be late getting back for class but it was so easy! Harriet wrote down which train I wanted and I handed the lady at the booth the piece of paper and my passport and money and I had my ticket in like ten seconds! I even had time to get starbucks while I was out by the mall!
My kids are panicking about their marks now since it's so close to midterms. So I made them a deal that if they don't annoy me then we can have a test after our Chinese Holiday next week (the "Tomb Sweeping Festival"...creepy right?). Its rare that kids will TRY to have more tests; I like this! Now kids who usually talk are telling other kids to be quiet while I'm talking because they don't want me to be mad. It's a good system! Oh my gosh. And so the kids need a score of 6.5 on their IELTS (an English proficiency test) to get into most universities and so most of them have gotten that score. But one girl who is actually pretty good at English still hadn't gotten it and she found out today that she had finally passed (they just keep re-taking it until they pass). She came into the staff room at lunch SO EXCITED about it to tell me. We kept talking about how she hadn't heard and I was so scared that she'd find out one day that she hadn't passed and be super upset, luckily she passed.
We get a little holiday in June for some other Chinese festival, well I think a few days are during a big Chinese test and then a couple days are for some Dragon holiday or something. So today I booked flights to Bejing so that I can see the Great Wall before I come home! I was getting kind of worried that I wouldn't get to! It was pretty early to book them but they were so much cheaper than normal on this one Chinese website, like half the price of expedia so I figured I better book it before it went up! I'm so excited!
Yesterday peer tutoring started up again. The test that some people were not happy about was a good motivator for some people to start showing up to get tutored again, that made me happy. And the kids decorated eggs for Easter and hung them up in a tree. That was pretty cute! I mentioned that tomorrow was Holy Thursday which was when the Last Supper happened and that Friday was Good Friday.... they did not care. I think their thought process was "no...for Easter we decorate eggs and hang them in a tree..." I don't think they even know who the Easter Bunny is!
Anywho, I should get to bed!! HOPPY EASTER!
No comments:
Post a Comment