Wednesday, September 26, 2012

UPDATE

So first off, I have photos from my solo venture into town:



Since I was on foot, I was clearly not using the transportation of choice!!!! Everyone has an e-bike, even a few of the teachers at my school (I'm going on one for the first time tonight)!!


I do not know what this means. It kind of looks like a stop sign, but even if it is no one stops at it; intersections and signs the like are ALL treated as yields, or just drive through blindly and hope for the best!

Walking downtown

OH NO! The PO-PO is going to get me for J-walking!

I MADE IT TO MY DESTINATION!!

This means the deck of cards is 75 cents; so I'm sure my mom will be happy to know that if they are 75 cents in China, then she's getting a pretty good deal on her cards from dollarama!

I just thought it was funny! 

The only selection of chocolate in China.

The international section. It consists of bacardi, chocolate and coffee mate. Yes, you see lindors! I'm trying not to succumb to them too early; they are SO expensive here!

I was contemplating whether or not to buy more toilet paper and those who know  my mom, will know how funny of a contemplation that is! I immediately walked out of the aisle when I realized I was turning into her lol. This would be her fav aisle! White swan may still be cheaper mom!

I ended up buying different beer but it was a nice piece of home (and university) to see some PBR!

Riddle me this: If ALL of the eggs at the store are expired (some expired in AUGUST) , how does that happen when the eggs were DIRECTLY beside these chickens!?

I bought these because I was starving and I thought they looked like maltesers or whoppers, they do not taste like that, do not fall for it!!!!! GROSS

I stopped on my way home at a western restaurant and got a margarita (YUM!)

I also got a chicken sandwich, fries and coleslaw. YAY. My friend Keirst will be pumped I ate french fries! They were actually so good

I don't like coleslaw at home I don't like it in China

Overall the journey was a success that night!

Yesterday was an interesting day! It was one of the two days in the week where I have all 3 90 minute periods. It was not the BEST day. My students were doing an assignment and SO MANY of them handed it in incomplete, after I had repeatedly told them what to do. It was written on the top as well! I was SO annoyed, and they knew it! It was the first time (including all of my pracitca) where I was legitimately mad at an ENTIRE class! One of the other teachers came in to see me as I was getting mad and thought it was funny (it probably was lol). I hate getting mad and I told the kids that. A few of the students came and apologized after (usually the ones who don't need to tend to apologize) it was cute. They all caught on quickly though after they realized they had messed up. I also had to lecture them on WHY they should ask questions and how it can be beneficial. Afterwards I couldn't slow down for one second because I was being asked questions left, right and center (thank goodness)!

I saw the pet kitten that kids are keeping again yesterday, I didn't have my camera AGAIN. Then today I saw their pet mice, and their pet turtle!!! I did have to mention that having pet mice and a pet cat seems like a tragedy waiting to happen (they laughed)!

Last night I went to the market by myself again. I needed veggies and fruit. Then I went to the store next door because I needed a needle and thread. I didn't have my dictionary so that was a little difficult. I made a sewing motion to one lady and she pointed upstairs. Then upstairs I did the same and pointed at the seems of my clothes and the lady said "mayo (spelling is totally wrong, but that's how its said)" which means they don't have it (I learned that one last weekend). Then I just continued to walk around because I knew they must. They must have also been talking about it because then two people ran over to me fighting over who could show me where it was! It was pretty funny!!! Then I came home and my friends (yes I think I can safely call them friends now, not just co-workers) were having dinner (they knew I'd be late) on the patio with candles..mainly because there is no light out there except for the automatic motion light that chooses to not work sometimes. One friend had made curry, the other rice; it was delicious! I am a lucky girl! YUMMMY!

Afterwards I met up with the 3 other people I am travelling to Hangzhou with over the break (Hangzhou is the capital of our province in China). We now have our hostel booked and our train ticket TO Hangzhou, but not back yet (we'll have to get on that). I am SO excited. I am not sure I have done enough work (two weeks?) to deserve a week long break, but I'll take what I can get!! I think it'll be busy, but it'll be a fun trip!

We had a staff meeting today about Growing Success (a document put out by the ministry of education). It was pretty helpful (he did a good job of translating the 200ish pages in the document) AND there was PIZZA. ACTUAL, DELICIOUS PIZZA! Nom, nom, nom! Now I have one more section left today and then tomorrow morning the testing BEGINS! (Hopefully that goes okay, we shall see!) Tonight I need to mark the rest of the graphing assignments. I should go do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment