So the big test was today!!! I got up early, went to school, rearranged my room so that it would be more difficult for the kids to cheat (they love to cheat here, 23 kids got caught last year cheating on ONE exam). The kids arrived, none asked questions or seemed freaked out; I was freaked out! They started writing and I worried the more I watched. One student in particular is EXTREMELY bright and finished the test faster than I probably would. The others all took almost the entire time and a third stayed a little later. The worst part of all was that I told them several things were going to be on the test, gave them examples and told them they'd be on it word for word. They apparently thought I was lying? Because SO MANY of them asked questions about it! It is stressful when kids ask questions because you so badly want to tell them the answer so that they all do well (most teachers REALLY do want the students to do well...MOST). But I can't. I gave some of them some prodding in the right direction. But it was annoying because I TOLD YOU that it was going to be on there. You had it WRITTEN IN YOUR NOTEBOOK (if you DO take notes?????). So needless to say the next section today (who is writing tomorrow) got an earful about how I don't just say things for the good of my health and that they should LISTEN (some actually seemed surprised....go figure). So we'll see how they do (I hopefully will mark them all tonight).
Other than that I had a pretty nice day. My prep period ALWAYS backs onto or is right before lunch, so today on my prep/lunch I did marking, laundry, dishes, gym, ate lunch and showered. You could never do that teaching anywhere else (at least I don't think so)! We also were given a huge box of moon cakes today as well as a sleeve of moon cakes. It is the moon festival (or something like that??) right now and its traditional to give these. None of us know who got them all for us but someone said they're actually really expensive (200 RMB for the box) and they are DISGUSTING! I brought the sleeve to class in anticipation of hating them (then I could give them away) So I opened it and told the kids I'd try one and almost spit it out it was so bad. The kids thought it was HILARIOUS. I asked if they liked them and they all said no; so when then do you give them to people EVERY YEAR! And spend a lot of money on them? Again they all laughed, because they too don't know. Since I couldn't pawn them off on my own kids I went into the hallway and gave them to year 2's...who probably took them because they felt they had to. I had a pumpkin flavoured one from the "fancy" box that was pretty tasty, but the other flavours were corn, spicy beef and red bean (SPICY BEEF? IN A SWEET CAKE??? GROSS). Also in a moon cake there is almost an entire days worth of calories (over 1000) and they are comically small, like smaller than a donut from Tim Hortons....oh what I'd do for Tim Hortons right now!!!
Anywho I have a graphing assignment and a test to mark; so I'm off (who knows I'll probably get bored and write another blog post)!
No comments:
Post a Comment