Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Another Tuesday......

I think a few (or a bunch) of our students have just given up on school..."senior-itis" I guess. But the rules of the school really don't help the situation. The students are forced to take a nap every afternoon during lunch time now.... it is now becoming a recurring excuse that they did not come to class because they just kept sleeping. Another funny thing is that the doors to the dorm get locked when the kids are to be in class....and so they are capable of being locked in; how convenient. 

I had to call a couple of universities for students have managed to mess certain things up. One lady commented that I sounded really far away and should take it off speaker phone... I assured her that I was not on speaker phone and was in fact just really far away lol. 

Today after school I went with Mel to get a foot massage...that was an interesting experience. Not only did we get kind of lost, but when we finally found it...it was strange. I mentioned that I got a massage the other day. I forget whether I mentioned how much it hurt and that the next morning I woke up with bruises on my back and in so much pain? The last couple nights when I've gone to bed I feel like a 90 year old lady because my back just kills me (the rock hard China bed does not help the situation). Anywho, so we hand the man this piece of paper our friend wrote for us that said to be gentle...I think my guy was illiterate because it hurt A LOT. First they brought tubs of water and we put our feet in them...that was fine. Then Mel's guy came out and was trying to tell her something which we finally figured out was to turn around so he could give her a shoulder/ back massage. Then I had to do that too. I wanted a FOOT massage...not a back massage. Anyway...it was more like the guy was just angry and punching me in the back and he somehow managed to find every bruise I had on my back from the other day. Afterwards we finally got our foot part. Which was also painful and involved them punching and slapping our legs... I do not understand the benefit of this, but my feet do feel nicer than they did before (they kind of also give you a bit of a pedicure). 

After I left that place I was going to meet my friend Erin for dinner. I got into a cab and told the guy where I was going. He kept trying to say something to me and I kept not understanding. Finally he said the name of my school and I was like yeah I teach there. (keep in mind this is all with him speaking no English and me speaking next to no Chinese) He then somehow managed to convey that he had driven me there once before, when I finally understood he very excited. Understandably so...I'm kind of a big deal!

Oh and I also forgot. So our kids aren't allowed to leave campus during the week. Yet when I was in town today I was walking down the street with my headphones in and heard a faint "Miss Young, Miss Young..." I turned around and two of my students were standing there. They had come into town to get food. I laughed because of all the things they could leave the school to do it's to just get more Chinese food that they could get at the school. I asked how they got out and they said I dunno. I was like did you lie to the guard? The one said no and the other said yes. I just laughed and walked away, these kids kill me sometimes. 

Yesterday I was walking across the street after the first class to get food. As I was walking toward the gate i noticed that it was closed and there were Chinese people waiting on either side of it to get in or out and the guards wouldn't open it. When I walked up I expected to have to stop and wait for whatever they were waiting for, but no, the guard just opened it for me. One of the people waiting was our assistant and she didn't have any idea what they were to be waiting for; such a strange place!

Also, tonight I booked my hostel for Beijing next week; so excited!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment