Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bye-bye Leafs!

First of all I would like to give my condolences to all the Leafs fans out there, but hey, they made it further than anyone would have EVER imagined (heheh sorry Mom). I bet you all feel extra "blue" today.... pun intended. Also I'm not sure if people read about the school in Quebec that made the girl change out of her Senators jersey. I think Leafs and Habs fans are a little crazy when the teams actually make playoffs.

Yesterday I was telling my kids about the cow I saw by the school. They all thought it was hilarious. So on my break I was trying to explain how my parents driveway is really long and sometimes there will be cows on it and that that is what it reminded me of. None of them really understood what I was trying to explain so I tried to pull up the google earth image of my parents house. It used to be this awful blury picture taken in the winter where it was hard to make things out. But yesterday I google mapped my parents house and Ennismore is now on google street view! I typed in the address and it pulled me up to a picture of the end of my parents driveway. I could then turn and go all the way down the road. I showed the kids my Aunt Ida's house and my brother Joe's house. The pictures are older though so Jim's house isn't in them. The kids thought it was so cool! So over the break they started trying to google streetview different universities. I teach them really "important" things sometimes.

I don't know if I mentioned that last week I actually taught them something they had never seen before! Now most teachers get to experience this everyday....but not me. There are usually lots of students claiming they've never learned what we're learning but usually they're either lying or forgetting. Last week though I taught them the cross product and they had never seen it before ever! I was so glad! Oh my gosh I think I forgot to tell this story. So when I helped to judge that English competition a few weeks ago, I was paired with a Chinese judge. She was pretty funny and when she found out I taught math she said "really?" I assured her I was telling the truth and then she said "I thought all foreigners were bad at math." I burst out laughing because so many people at home would say that all Chinese people are GOOD at math...the stereotype goes both ways!

Today I visited a Chinese middle school. The kids were CRAZY. Well the first class was anyway. They were standing on their desks and screaming trying to ask questions. They asked me SO many questions. Hardly anyone actually asked them in English though; most of the time my friend Angela was translating. It was really entertaining though. We then went to this restaurant that has food from Western China which is more like Arabic food and it was SUPER tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment