Another thing I both hate but find amusing about living in China is the willingness of most Chinese people to ask you literally ANYTHING. Usually they don't even feel uncomfortable asking you the most uncomfortable questions. I was asked twice this week when I was going to get married. I have been pretty lucky so far (compared to some of my friends) and haven't been asked about this much since I'm still pretty young but apparently this week that was a big concern for people. Both of the people who asked were my students. For the first one I was completely caught off guard and was just like ummm... I don't know? Then he asked me a question about math. Another student asked me yesterday but it was at least kind of relevant to the conversation and I just laughed and was like do you guys really think that people just say I'm going to get married this day and that's how it works? She realized it was kind of a silly question and then I asked her when she was going to get married.
What was funnier was that my students were presenting their final projects this week. A group yesterday (the last group to present) made a board game and the each square you could land on had a question or something you had to do under it. Some of them were typical like "move back 3 spaces" one was "jump up and down 5 times" a bunch were math related and riddles. Then one student got one that said "tell Miss Young you love her and ask her if she loves you." I nearly died. The kid just looked at me and looked back at the people running the game and came and knelt in front of me and said "Miss Young I love you do you love me?" All I could say was yeah sure please go sit down. So when the girl was asking me later about when I'd get married this kid was sitting right there and he goes Miss Young come on I already told you I loved you. I just said "wow this just gets more uncomfortable every time" and walked away.
I haven't blogged in over a week and so I don't think I've talked about how last week I was getting out of a cab and hit a guy on an e-bike with the door. The best part was that neither him or the cab driver seemed surprised and no one said anything. At home I think I would have definitely gotten yelled at by both of them but that being said there wouldn't be an e-bike passing a cab on the inside as I got out either.
The kids have lost all ambition to do any work and I can't really blame them. We have a week off right now. What a dumb time to have a week off; so close to the end of the year! I'm glad I have a week off, don't get me wrong, but it's hard enough to be motivated at the end of the year meanwhile when you know you have a week off soon. Yesterday was basically social hour in all of my classes even though they were supposed to be doing review.
I leave for Beijing tomorrow which is exciting. Tonight I'm going to Hangzhou with a couple of girls and then I fly out of Hangzhou tomorrow. I haven't really planned much of my trip, I'm hoping to just book everything once I get there; hopefully that pans out lol! The main thing I want to do is see the great wall!
I went and got street food last night. A couple of has had gone out and I wasn't even that hungry but I just kept thinking about how I leave soon and won't be able to eat it again ever probably; as usual my stomach hates me today; I never learn.
Also one month from today my brother gets married! So excited! And in less than 4 weeks I'll be home!
Oh and did I talk about Mel and I going to get foot massages? And the guy literally scraped out feet with a paint chipper.... so weird.
Anyway, I still haven't finished packing and I need to leave soon so I should go do that!!
No comments:
Post a Comment