Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Done Marking!

I'm done report cards! My exam was on Sunday and yesterday I marked all of the exams, put them into the computer and did my report cards; best feeling!

Also, yesterday I went to this one cafe we always go to that's owned by Chinese people to mark my exams. First the lady was trying to explain something to me in Chinese and using charades that I eventually determined to be that the smell in the place was from them varnishing the wood.....like I would know those words in Chinese; I can't even say the word bathroom properly.

Next she comes over and is pointing at the table and I'm like yes you varnished it I guess, and she then goes somewhere else and comes back and has a little bug pinched between her fingers and she looks at me and goes...English? I was like umm.... a bug? She goes: B-A-G? I was like no B-U-G...and then she walked away again. She came back five minutes later with this vile of stuff that actually had English writing on it but it wasn't really clear what it was. I guess it was bug repellent though because she poured some in my hands and told me to rub my hands together and then she didn't walk away until I had rubbed it on my arms. I guess it's kind of nice of her; but also beyond strange!

After I finished marking for the day I was walking to get food somewhere else. On my way these woman who had her kid with her stops me and goes Hello, Hello, Hello. And at first I just thought it was the typical thing that was happening where a Chinese person says that repeatedly because they think it's funny. Then she seemed like she actually had something to say so I stopped and she goes MONEY MONEY MONEY with her hands out; they think all foreigners are rich. It's one thing to be asked for money by someone who is asking EVERYONE for money but it was so annoying that she was just cruising down the sidewalk saw me and decided no I'll just ask her, I just walked away. I got my food to go and was walking out of the restaurant a little bit later and this Chinese lady starts talking to me a lot in Chinese. My first instinct was to be a little annoyed because of the last lady but this lady saved my life; I had almost left my bag that had all of my kids' exams in it at the restaurant!

On the cab ride home the cab driver kept trying to speak Chinese to me. I could understand a couple of things and then he was always super disappointed when I didn't understand the next thing. When we arrived at the school I was paying him and one of Mel's students was waiting by a bus stop. As my cab pulled up so did another cab that had someone in it. So Mel's student goes to get into my cab, I'm like Hi Leon and the cab driver asks him where he's going in Chinese. Leon looks over at the other cab and then back at the cab driver and says in English "I got into the wrong cab, sorry." The cab driver was so beyond confused lol!

Also yesterday with the humidity it felt like 50 degrees. It was so hot. My cousin would have still happily traded me, I want it to be 15 degrees again lol! It's 11 AM and already feels like 47 degrees today! It's supposed to be really hot for the graduation on Saturday too which will also suck with so many people in one room.

Today I need to clean out my desk in the office and finish with my classroom. If I'm feeling really ambitious maybe I'll even start cleaning stuff out of my apartment and packing; but I won't get too ahead of myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment